Everyone loves Florida. So much so that the state is having more and more people move there to enjoy the sunshine and beaches year-round. Home sales are booming!
As anywhere, there can be a downside to homeownership. Florida is home to destructive termites and these pests can literally eat you out of house and home.
Pesky Florida Termites
Termites are a real nuisance. Here’s why: They eat wood. Most houses contain at least some wood in the frame or structure. Florida’s abundant sunshine and rainfall provide the perfect living conditions for these wood-eaters.
Florida is home to native and invasive termite species. The three most common types in the state are:
- Subterranean Termites. They form large colonies are very destructive
- Dampwood Termites. These pests love humidity and are most common in South Florida.
- Drywood Termites. These pests nest entirely within the wood structures they feed on.
If you suspect that you have a termite infestation, look for the following tell-tale signs:
- Flying insect swarms.
- Piles of translucent termite wings (shed after swarming).
- Mud tubes neat the home foundation.
- Termite droppings (they look like sawdust or coffee grounds).
What Can Be Done To Clear Out A Termite Infestation?
Fortunately, professional termite control is available. If you need pest control Cape Coral FL, you have several choices from which to choose.
The best termite control firms will offer you a free inspection and estimate of the cost. Most treatments are quite effective and can be done for a reasonable price.
You may be tempted to tackle the infestation yourself. Think again. Professional exterminators have the knowledge and experience to combat a Florida termite infestation. Furthermore, they use the most effective and environmentally benign insecticides that not only clear out the problem but prevent new ones from cropping up in the future.